Mid - July
Summer is not the best season for our house. The elderly swamp coolers are doing their best but it's not very comfortable. I seem to be past the worst of the hot flashes (gods I hope so). I've been closing the drapes in the morning and keeping the heat out as much as I can. It's dim and warm and I would like to fast forward to late August at this rate.
The monsoon storms started last week 7/13 and it brings the temp down even if we get no rain. I wish it would rain of course and sometimes we'll get ten minutes or so. It hasn't been enough to replace watering the yard. So I will gather my summer complaints and put them aside and remember to be grateful for change and clouds.
Trying to support youngest kid who is trying to figure out how to do the last (6?) classes for her degree. So many dominoes need to be set up and knocked down. I wish us an organized energy toward completion.
Cooked two small pizzas in the science oven last night. It still feels like a magic trick but I'm getting more confident.
Late - August
I've gotten this far at least. The high temps are too high. Waiting for the coolness to swing back. I know that's what we'll be doing for the rest of our lives. But I'm going to focus on what's in front of me now.
The excitement of the new semester has arrived. Even with our current miasma and troubles, I keep communicating with cheerful instructors. I wish them and all students so much goodness. Teach and learn, what a good general base human activity.
Our college student is back with us and has started her three online classes for the semester. She's physically and emotionally stronger than when she left. I'm glad she was able to spend time with her friends and good old T I M E is helping. There is more support gathering yet to do. Good to see that hopeful forward movement. Spring semester will be in-person and we will plot and scheme to make that successful as well.
Today I'm going to pick up a painting I bought through the estate sale auction site. I have a bid in on a quilt too. It's so much fun to look at all the junk! Will try to keep my shopping excitement in the realm of replacing items rather than piling them up.
I'm hoping to see the new Hannah Einbinder and Gillian Anderson movie in the theater with the Danish. I found the last season of Hacks very satisfying. I have some nits to pick but what a landing. I realized at the end as the last shot pulls wide on the Las Vegas strip that this series made me love spending imaginary time in LV. While IRL I hope I don't have to go there ever again. Hannah E is very beautiful when she's acting sad and distressed, what a Pieta face.
I finished Hell Bent by Bardugo recently. It made me mad as well as entertained me. She is a strong writer. I love the glamor of magic and history and secret societies as much as her characters do. And the continual frustration is probably a good realistic tension. But it could have been shorter. Using Darlington as the McGuffin was particularly upsetting. I hope our rough outsider can get a little solid ground underneath her by the end of this series. And that the next book is a hundred or so pages shorter.
No comments:
Post a Comment