Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Escapes

Kitchen fun

My two modes these days are packing or feeling guilty for not packing. So when I have been cooking lately it's been a nice change of pace but I've also caught myself feeling like maybe I am spending too much time in the kitchen. The best new thing I made is a cake with ground almonds and orange zest/juice, based on this recipe: Best Ever Orange Almond Cake Recipe. I used 3 eggs and substituted a little plain yogurt for the 4th. I didn't put slivered almonds on top, I sprinkled it with sugar. Very good cake. I will bake it again to use up these ground almonds I have in the fridge. It would be really good with a citrus glaze on top. Ooh and some candied peel. 

I'm concerned that we've done all the easy packing and the rest is the hard stuff. But there are still plenty of targets for my attention, no need to look for trouble. Realtor comes tomorrow, we'll need help filling out our disclosure form.  

---------updated after realtor meeting. We're ready to list it next week. I have a long list of cleaning and yard tidying to share with my spouse and get done by the end of this weekend. I am going to fill out the disclosures form online in the next day or so. My guilt over not packing has receded as we seem to have made enough progress to show this sucker. I feel like it's actually going to happen. //excite!//


Ah ! comme la neige a neigé !

Why didn't I learn this poem in my French studies? Soir d'hiver by Émile Nelligan. Probably anti Canadian assumptions. Its singing quality and world weariness reminds me of Beaudelaire.

 

Bball

The local university men's team is keeping up their record even in this very competitive season. Lots of strong teams and "every game is a rock fight" according to the local announcer. We went downtown to watch last night and it was not a restful experience - close to the very end. They got the win which also gives them the conference title. I feel lucky to have lived here during this time of fabulous Jayhawk teams. Ol' Coach Self is a wizard.   

At K's school, a bball resurgence is happening - their men's team is going to play in March Madness this year for the first time in a while. Northwestern schedule. March is here!  


Firsts

We walked at the wetlands two evenings ago - it was light past 6pm and calling us outside. Beautiful fading pastels in the east and an orange horizon in the west. We saw geese flying and yelling before roosting. There were frogs and red-winged blackbirds calling and I saw the first bat of the year. Venus and Jupiter were sparking in the west above the silhouetted trees. I have put the astronomy department's telescope night on my calendar. Fingers cross that next week that evening will stay clear.   

No comments: