Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Souporama

In case fall has taken hold of you and you need some soup ideas, right now!  Twitter thread of people recommending their favorite soup recipes.

Looking over my notes I see that I certainly do love a butternut squash soup.  

Easy one from @dansaltzstein: Butternut squash-ginger. Roast a halved butternut squash at 350 degrees until soft throughout. Let it cool., remove skin/seeds and roughly chop. Sauté some chopped leeks, garlic and a lot of ginger in butter and olive oil until garlic is just barely golden. Add squash and cover with veggie stock. Add salt and pepper and any spices you like (suggested: Chinese 5-spice and a little cayenne). Let simmer for 15 min. Turn off heat. Using an immersion blender, blend til smooth. Check for seasonings, adjust if necessary.

Another person recommended Butternut Squash Soup with Fresh Sage that sounded so good I made it a week ago. It calls for fresh sage and rosemary, neither of which I usually cook with. I bought a spendy packet of sage leaves but for the rosemary I used the dried that I already had. Soup turned out great! Now I'm drying the rest of the sage to try and use it in the future.  

Later, I remembered this recipe that Kat and I love from Catherine Newman: Thai-style Butternut Squash Soup. So tangy and good!

I wish my spouse was able to appreciate soups but he has texture issues that only welcome stew. 

More from the twitter thread  This from Giada sounds easy and good: Turkey Kale Brown Rice Soup. I need a lentil soup now and then: Turkish Red Lentil Soup. And for your dumpling needs: Vegan veg stew with dumplings. It also reminded me of the existence of simplyrecipes.com. I argue with some of their recipes but have found some good ones as well.

======

I've been getting through some fiction lately. None of my online book groups have a firm date set up: one group is busy emailing about finding a day/time next week (looks doubtful), one's been pushed to November (that one actually may be the most settled) and one is in hiatus. I haven't read anything that has satisfied all my requirements but I am happy with the variety. Of recent reads, my recommendation is for Unnatural Magic by Waggoner. Surprisingly good! 

---------
Group 1 agreed on a date next week! Yay!! 



No comments: