Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Shaft of light

After some job hunting resulted in a sudden request for 5 professional references (5! I'm still surprised) I asked my current manager whether he could be a reference. And as part of this conversation I finally asked whether my current position could be designated as remote so I could keep working after our move to ABQ. My manager immediately said he would try and went to talk to the next level boss. And damme, they did it. I will put this job in my pocket and take it with me. This is a wonderful outcome and what a relief to not have to be adapting to a new workplace while doing the move and its aftermath. 

In early December I ordered a sunlamp recommended by a Canadian from Saskatchewan because I figured they should know about such things. I received it promptly but it didn't light up consistently. There are 4 light tubes and sometimes only one would come on. I emailed the company and they replaced it with a unit that comes on every time, getting rid of all the anticipation. Nod and I have both gotten good out of it. Especially when the sky is gray in the morning we need a little extra. 

Now that I have a job in ABQ, (oh! I'm still feeling excited about this!) I've begun making lists. I haven't started packing yet but it will happen. I figure February will be the short month of packing up all our shit. 

There are many other moving parts connected to our two college students. Eldest needs a car for the summer at a Dallas internship. None of our current cars are eligible for that much driving. Youngest may or may not be taking a year off after this spring semester. And thus may or may not collect that car from her sister after the summer. Youngest is thinking of summering in lovely Lawrence by the sea to live with friends. As part of this she would complete an English requirement by attending a community college class with a friend. I'm all in favor of her couch surfing and getting that class done in her least favorite subject. Girl gets A's in chemistry and has trouble with writing an English essay. I'm proud but can't exactly relate. 

I feel like humans are close to advances in many areas. It makes a change from seeing all the destruction we've done. The usual business is strong over weak but sometimes we come up with variation and hopeful creation. 

    


2 comments:

amenaneri said...

So happy for your job in hand! What a relief! Now it's time to get your real estate on! So many possibilities (not that I've been browsing on Zillow or anything....).

XOXO,
The Danish

Nimble said...

thx dear!