Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Salty

Salty licorice supplies. A Metafilter thread on edible alkali metals besides NaCl included a link to this clip from Travel Man: Richard Ayoade and Paul Rudd "enjoy" some Finnish salty licorice. Now I'm safely enjoying these descriptions from Scandinavian Kitchen of their top ten salty licorice varieties. I learned to like sweet black licorice as an adult (this is my fave) after only eating red licorice as a kid. I suppose it's not impossible I could learn to like salty licorice. But so far I can't think of a plausible chain of events that would cause that to happen.

After feeling absurdly healthy for a month in quarantine I have tender neck nodes and a sore throat and feel very sorry for myself. Wondering what the vector was. Restaurant food? Daughter's boyfriend? Husband's clients? I think I'll take this afternoon off to rest. Weird to contemplate taking sick leave (in my house) from work (in my house).

The Danish sailed in with a couple of winner recommendations for us on nflx. Feel Good is my kind of lesbian/standup/ addiction romcom. It's also short - episodes about 25 min. The Stranger keeps making me say 'that was improbable' but I still want to see what happens and spouse is totally hooked. 

I finished a book that I started during quarantine! It took an effort of will but it helped that it was Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. Sunday morning was quiet and peaceful and a perfect time to listen to the rain and cruise through the end. I was surprised by the outcome and just as moved and won over by the language as all the reviews said I would be.

Local bookstore staff dropped off My Sister The Serial Killer on my doorstep yesterday. Yay!!! I thought it would have to be shipped and take a week but they must have had it in the store. Their website https://www.ravenbookstore.com/ is creaky but they are extremely good eggs and can hook you up!





2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Love Travel Man, and Ayoade.

I've had sore throat, mostly in the evening and better by morning. I chose to think it's allergies.

Nimble said...

Yay, Ayoade! Whatever it was I felt much better 36 hours later.