Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Out in a little boat

Springinging
Dandelions are out in force, I even saw a bee on one. Our cool rainy spell is over and the midwest spring flower parade is on. It's fun to see what blooms in this neighborhood. I'm pleased that I got some of the ivy cut back on the east side plum tree. It's blossoming now. I will go after the remaining ivy with a clear conscience. In the neighbor's yard it festoons shrubs and trees. I was trying to get some grocery store mint scraps to root in water on the windowsill. It put out a cheerful bunch of leaves but no roots that I could see. I've plunked it into some dirt and hope I can get it to grow.

Cooking/Eating
Proved that I can make both Awesome Sauce (2Ts each miso/tahini/rice vinegar, 1T each grated ginger root/honey, one small squashed clove garlic) and the bowl ingredients (quinoa, parboiled broccoli and microwaved sweet potato) and eat a generous serving during a one hour lunch break. But I'm going to make some more ahead of time so I can do more leisurely lunching and less scrambling in the future. K and I enjoyed our vegan bounty. She had vegetarian Pho from our local Thai place last night. She asked me if it was vegan and I said I had a hard time believing they didn't use chicken broth. We agreed that it would be really hard to ask the restaurant if their vegetarian Pho was vegan without being taken for persnicketty wypipo. We'll live with the mystery.

Entertainment Listening
Samin Nosrat is doing a podcast! With Hrishikesh Hirway who is new to me. Here's ep 1 with plenty of Beans.

Entertainment Watching
Where'd You Go, Bernadette? with Cate Blanchette, Billy Crudup and lots of other good actors. I watched it last weekend and liked it a lot. I mostly loved the book. The husband is more sympathetically drawn in the film. Hm, BC is still very pretty. Actually everyone is adorable in the film, probably too far in the likable direction. I think Bernadette should have been even weirder before her break. I cried at the Antarctic ice panoramas. Wow, now I'm looking at the critical consensus which is that it was a missed opportunity. I do not regret those two hours.   

As an example of the pointy elbows of Maria Semple's book that did not make it into the movie, here's a quote that made NPR-loving me laugh: 
“The war in Congo rages on with no end in sight,” the announcer said. “And now comes word of a new campaign by the soldiers, to find the women they have already raped and re-rape them.” “Holy Christ on a cross!” Mom said. “I draw the line at re-raping.” And she turned off NPR.”

Entertainment Reading
Finished Leckie's The Raven Tower. I got drawn in and finished the last third of the book in a rush. Now I'm back on my heels wondering if I was sold a bill of goods. I think it was a big of a shaggy dog but I did like the ride.

I've received the copy of Robinson's Housekeeping that I ordered from our local bookstore. It came in the mail yesterday. Online book group is set for early May which feels very far off.

No comments: