Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Observation

58...

Halfsies
With the video meetings I have been getting to see myself on camera much more than previously. Of course there was an initial shock and I still prefer my imagined face which has fewer wrinkles or bags under my eyes. But the most distracting thing I've noticed lately is the asymmetry of my face. The left side seems to be doing everything expected of it. But the right side is a little droopy, both the corner of my mouth and my right eye. I've always had a bit of asymmetry in my smile (matching my mom) but this is more pronounced than I remember. I'm tempted to take a photo and then split it into the two halves and do mirroring to see the two distinct faces that would produce. But the rest of me doesn't want to loose any dopplegangers into the world. 

Worry
Covid math is my current anxiety magnet. Do we have my oldest daughter's boyfriend over to our turkey day meal? We're in contact with her - she visits unmasked one or more times a week. Sometimes we hug and spend time on the couch together. And she's in contact with him - spends time with him unmasked a couple times a week. So we're already in the germs network with him. Does it increase our collective risk of getting the virus to have him over unmasked? I don't think so. My goal is to have no one visit the hospital this winter.  [update: the boyfriend is booked with his family so we won't have him over. whew.]

Heat
Sweated through my pjs last night. Note to self, cotton only. That was a first. Plenty of hot flashes and disturbed sleep over the last month. I had a particularly rocky couple of weeks that ended with a few nights of sweet sweet sleep. Clearly I am on for the full crone ride. Onward to Hag Island!  



   Stashing recipe link: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/hearty-winter-vegetable-soup-vegan-recipe.html  
Edited to add: This involved recipe for vegetable stock that then gets cooked into vegetable soup does not, unfortunately, transcend the description of 'vegetable soup'. I like other things better. 

1 comment:

Ed Darrell said...

Got a neurologist? Maybe discuss with her (or him) whether asymmetry and its growth may be a symptom of something other than aging. If no neurologist, check with your GP (I have two neurologists I see for different, unrelated stuff -- not sure which one I'd talk to.)

99%, no big deal. But periodically I think of the woman who got two self-winding watches, one for her mother and one for herself. Mother's watch started not winding. To take it in for repair, she swapped them out. Wearing her mother's watch, she discovered it wouldn't stop for her. Then her mother called and said the second self-winding watch had also stopped. She mentioned it to her physician who stopped for a moment, then said he'd read that people affected by Parkinson's sometimes don't move their arms "correctly" as they walk, and he wondered if there might be a problem with her mother's gait and movement.

Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's in the very, very early stages. Treatment prevented quicker decline because it was started so early. Parkinson's stopped the mother from moving her arm enough to wind the self-winding watch.

Zoom meetings make me realize I don't smile as much as I should. I'm working on it. My smile is not up to par, either. Don't know what that means.