Friday, May 7, 2021

Peering out

Coming late to the party here, but wow - Miriam Makeba! 

Here's Khosa Wedding Song/Qongqothwane


And Khawuleza (hurry, don't let them get you). 

I celebrated my two weeks post-vaccine this past Tuesday. Happy dance! I have stopped bringing a mask when I go jogging. I feel vastly relieved that I probably won't breathe on anyone and kill them or die myself. I will still wear a mask in mixed company/large gatherings. Counting down another ten days for our youngest to her two week mark and then the four of us are done! Very grateful. What a comfort it would have been a year ago to know we would get to this point.  

I am still trying to get a trip set up to see my mom in Albuquerque. Involving my spouse and children has made it very complicated. The college student especially is throwing more variables into the problem - spring semester ends 6/12, summer semester starts 6/21 and what happens to a dorm dweller in between? But I think I have figured out Plan A and Plan B and something will work. Flights are selling out. It'll be interesting to see when the airlines start to add more flights back (if they do). I even looked at taking the train one way between ABQ and Lawrence KS. It's 16+ hours which makes my spouse groan in sympathy but it's cheap and at least there is a train. After I have the experience I may not ever want to do it again but I think I'm up for once. 

I have discovered I like black licorice if it's the soft 'natural' stuff (Panda, et al). I was pretty sure I wasn't putting away enough to worry about the health warning. But I looked it up for the thrill anyway. licorice root contains glycyrrhizic acid and how about that for a Scrabble word? It can interfere with how the body processes potassium and electrolytes which can mess up your blood pressure if you only eat black licorice and very little else. 





 

No comments: