Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Shrug

Weak as water

Yesterday evening I feel asleep for a bit at 7pm. I was just weary. And it spooked me. The weather continues hot and maybe that's the cause. Nod says it's lack of exercise. I considered the possibility but it's probably not covid with weariness as the only symptom. Ennui?

You can't wake up if you don't go to sleep

We went to see Asteroid City in the theater on Sunday. (Vox review here by a writer who says they don't like Wes Anderson's style in general but did appreciate the wisdom, melancholy and impishness of this one.) For me it was weird and good. WA invoking lots of acting mojo and layers of storytelling. I got the impression that the 3 little sisters and T.Hanks were filmed separately. I wonder if that's true. The kid characters were all hilariously written and the three littles were very funny. We saw people in pink going in to the Barbie theater. And I overheard the ticket checker saying that the day before had been their busiest day since Avengers End Game. There was also some very bad taste decorations for Oppenheimer in the movie theater entry way - an arch of black and white balloons with countdown numbers around them. I have been going back and forth on seeing that one in its first run. But the 3 hour length has decided me to wait for streaming. 

Big plans

We have two estimates for the big sewer line replacement job. Maybe we need another one to make the holy three? Next will be deciding who to sign up with.    

The written word

Finished Knots and Crosses, the first Rebus novel by Rankin. I liked it mostly and will try the next one. Its late '80s origin both adds (police/military culture, post divorce dating, 'bachelor' living standards) and detracts (villain's fatal repulsive element was unneeded) from the whole. Because of the traditional protagonist (UK male police detective with traumatic past) it reminds me of my peak mystery novel reading era, age 13-17. 

Last week I finished a fantasy novel by P Briggs: Raven's Shadow. This turns out to be the first of a pair, and was a fun read with inventive magic history. My friend JL says it's one of his favorites so we're going to discuss once I finish the second book. I've got my request pending in the library system. It feels good to have access to boooooks.    

Mt. Mountain National Park

Deadloch's last episode was as satisfying as the previous ones. But now it's over - alack and alas! I love the Kates, the writers.  

Incoming

Family and friends will be visiting us in the next few weeks. It's exciting! And a little scary - I hope to avoid the feeble invalid feeling and get things ready. The Danish is bringing her passion for opera. It is going to be a festive whirl. 


No comments: