Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Swedish Delights

 Found the Swedish Spoon! I'm intrigued. Here are a few recipes, the first two use sour milk:

Quick pan bread I think I'd leave out the sweetener

Fresh sour milk cheese 

Swedish beetroot salad

Swedish Dream Cookies call for baker's ammonia. I had never heard of that! I wonder if it's at all connected to the northern euro salted licorice weirdness. After more reading - It is the primitive version of baking powder and it sounds like most bakers chucked the old stuff because of the smell (which is supposed to dissipate by the time the baking is done). It produces a more crunchy/crumbly result than modern baking powder according to the Swede. 

I'm totally baking the Chewy Apple Cake with Cardamom as soon as I can stand to have the oven on again. I will try it in a tart pan since I don't have a springform. 


She included an historical photo of late 19th c. or early 20th c. apple harvesters and now I've fallen down a Swedish museum photos rabbit hole. Search results for basket / korg. Museum home page. Who wouldn't love Maria Lunback? Or how about this whopper of a baby.

No comments: